Application Details

The Community Foundations administers scholarship funds established by individuals, families, corporations, and organizations to assist high school and other students in pursuit of educational opportunities which will help them meet and exceed their goals. These awards are charitable grants that the recipient is not required to repay. Scholarships may be used for legitimate educational expenses such as tuition, fees, and books.

Most of our scholarship awards have very specific eligibility criteria. We have an online, Scholarship Application  that covers over 50 awards. After creating a user account, you are required to complete the eligibility quiz to see what applications you are eligible to apply for in our online system. Each scholarship requires you to provide academic information (including most recent transcript), financial information (including summary page of your Student Aid Report which you receive after filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid), a resume, an essay and at least two letters of recommendation from someone who is not related to you.    

Start your scholarship search by downloading and reading our Scholarship Directory or using the Search Feature on our website. For a quick summary of our online scholarships, we recommend downloading and printing our Eligibility Worksheet to determine which scholarships to apply to and any special information required for individual scholarships. 
Please check this site periodically as more scholarships may be added over the course of the year.

Please contact the following with any questions in regards to scholarships offered by the Community Foundations of the Hudson Valley: or call 845-452-3077.

Components of a Good Application


  • Write about the subject matter that is listed
  • Tie your essay to the specific scholarship when possible (personal touches stand out in the crowd)
  • Use spell check and follow proper grammar, punctuation and capitalization rules
  • Proofread (at a minimum read it out loud to yourself and if possible have someone else read your work)


  • Obtain an official copy from your school, usually from a guidance counselor

FAFSA (Free Application for Student Aid)

  • You must fill out the FAFSA to be eligible for financial aid
  • This may be time consuming, so plan ahead
  • Information is based on your most recent tax information
  • Student Aid Report (SAR) will be generated from the completed FAFSA, and will indicate the amount of financial aid you are eligible for
  • Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is usually located in the upper right corner of the SAR report

Letters of Recommendation

  • Should be from an employer, teacher, guidance counselor, clergy, or coach
  • Should not be from a relative
  • Talk to your recommender before you have them submit the letter to ensure they are the best person to recommend you
  • Pay special attention to scholarships which require specific letters be submitted
  • If using our third party email feature, be sure to double check the email addresses of those you are requesting a letter from


  • Should include: employment history, extracurricular activities, community service, athletic and leadership activities
  • Include awards and honors received
  • Include name of employer/activity/organization, position/role, dates of participation, time participated

Additional Resources for Scholarships

Our website and scholarships are just a starting point. Investigate all possible sources of assistance for which you may be eligible. Look into the following potential sources:
  • Guidance counselor/department
  • Hometown newspapers: prior year papers in April, May and June may list other scholarship programs (Contact sponsoring organizations for more information)
  • House of worship (see if your local or the national organization offers any student aid programs)
  • Local civic and fraternal organizations (ex. Rotary Club, Masons, Lions Club, Garden Clubs, etc.)
  • Religious Groups
  • Veterans' posts (many local, state and national units sponsor some scholarship program, especially for children of service members)
  • Employers (for you or your parent/guardian)
  • Labor unions or trade and professional organizations (check to see if you or your parents are members)
  • Military affiliation (children of active or veteran service members)
  • State Department of Higher Education
  • College Financial Aid Office